Thursday 16th November 2017

South Devon Rural help family with disabled child

A local family with a disabled child has been given a helping hand as services worked together to find a suitable home.

With a care package and schooling already arranged for the family in the town of Totnes, a search began to find a home for the local family who needed a house or bungalow which could be quickly adapted.

In a joint venture, South Hams District Council, VirginCare and the South Devon Rural Housing Association found a property on a shared ownership basis, with the aim of adapting it to meet the family’s needs. Financial help from South Hams’ Disabled Facilities Grant and Devon County Council funding will assist with adapting the home for specific disabilities.
Cllr John Tucker, Leader of South Hams District Council, said: “I think our officers went above and beyond to help a family who, as a matter of urgency, needed a new home. When the usual routes were exhausted, this didn’t hinder them, they looked at alternatives. Along with Virgin Care and South Devon Rural, they came to a solution quickly and efficiently and as time was of the essence I am thrilled the family could move in and now apply for our Disabled Facilities Grants to adapt the property.”

Miriam Fallon, Children’s Occupational Therapy Team Leader from Virgin Care, said: “This is a great example of agencies working together to produce an individual solution for a family when there seemed to be no solutions possible.”

Steve Prime from South Devon Rural Housing Association, said: “Being a small local housing association enables us to consider individual housing solutions. The needs of this family are great and cannot be resolved by normal market routes. This is where SDR excels and is able to help individual families in need, which we have done so successfully before.”
If you are disabled, and you need to adapt your home to live safely, you may be able to apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant. To start the process you will need an assessment from an

Occupational Therapist and they may recommend certain adaptations that could benefit you.

Care Direct can arrange for an Occupational Therapist to visit you. Contact them by:

Telephone: 0345 1551007

Text Message: 07773 333231

Text phone (for those with hearing difficulties): 0845 1551020


For integrated children's services contact: 03300 245321